About Paradeep Port
Paradeep Port is located in the meeting place of the river Mahanadi and Bay of Bengal in Jagatsinghpur district of Orissa. Paradeep Port is first major port of East Coast and the eighth major port of India. The founder of Paradeep Port was Biju Pattnaik, former Chief Minister of Orissa. The construction of Paradeep Port was began on 3rd January 1962 and the foundation stone was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru, the First Prime Minister of India. Paradeep Port started functioning on 12th March, 1966.
Paradeep Port has grown Rapidly in last few years. Expansion programs are going on to meet the demand and to bring further development.
Features Of Paradeep Port
The total area covers a large space of about 7000 acres.
Paradeep Port is ISO 9001:2000 certified.
The port has autonomous status however a port trust has set up by the Government.
The main function of the port is transportation of cargoes in bulk and individual.
Paradeep Port operates throughout the year, 24 hrs and 365 days.
Maintenance of the port is carried out the whole year.
Paradeep Port is equipped with modern equipments and the state of art technology.
The different departments of the port are Engineering, Maintenance, Marine, Administration, Finance, Medical Department etc.
Pilotage and Towage Facilities.
Facilities At Paradeep Port
1. There is township in the port area, where accommodation is provided for the staffs and their family.
2. There is a Port hospital to provide medical facilities to the employees.
3. There is also a first aid centre inside the berth area of the port.
4. The Paradeep Port also runs schools. There is provision of teaching dance and music for the children of Port employees. There is also a general college located in the Port area.
5. There is a market complex in the port area where different shops are there. Hotel, Restaurants are also available there. Paradeep Port Guest House provides accommodation for guests.
6. Paradeep Port is connected by National Highway and a broad gauge Railway line.
7. Pollution Control Cell is there in Paradeep Port to control pollution.
8. Safety and Security Provision.
What To See At Paradeep Port
1. Garden, Musical Fountain - There is a beautiful lush garden with colourful flowers which attracts many visitors. The garden is known as 'Smruti Udyan'. The musical fountain inside the garden is another attraction for people.
2. Light House Beach - The white sands of this place is really amazing to sit and relax and to enjoy the magnificent view of Bay of Bengal.
3. Stadium, Club, Swimming Pool - There is a small stadium known as 'Gopabandhu Stadium' where inter district games take place. An Officer's club and a beautiful swimming pool is also there.
4. Museum and Aquarium - There is a museum which visitors don't miss as there are things related to marine culture are displayed which provides enjoyment as well as knowledge. There is a big aquarium with 28 tanks where different species of numeral fishes are housed and this is one of major attraction in Paradeep Port.
5. Golf Course - There is golf course with tel holes and is place to see for the visitors.