You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General Updates

VAT tax is going to be increased from 4% to 5%.

Odisha government is trying to increase the VAT from 4% to 5%. After this increase the cost of many daily usage articles may be increased. This will affect mainly medicines and Sugar. By increasing the VAT government can able to gain 400 Crore to 500 crore. Opposition started protest against this hike and commented as this government is anti people. They created disturbance in State Assembly and won't allow the government to move forward.
    How do you react on this hike? After the election, do you feel it is a gift from wining party to Odisha people?
    It is not clear that what led Govt. to increase Vat percentage on Necessity goods like Sugar, Medicine etc. Increasing Vat is ok but on Necessity Goods, I think it is a wrong move. Consumer is ultimately the victim of such increased tax. It may not affect the rich much. But as far as Daily wage earners or Middle class Salaried Persons are concerned, it may make a difference. As per me the move of Govt. may not be anti people but illogical.
    Thanks & Regards
    Krishna

Sugar, salt & medicines are common and very necessity goods for every people. However, the prices are vary from state to state. Take one example of petrol; in Odisha the petrol price is around Rs. 66/- whereas in Andhra Pradesh it comes more than Rs. 71/-. Similarly, the LPG is less in West Bengal as compared to other states. It means, the state govt has some rights to lessen the price of goods in some cases. However, on this concert, I think it is not a good move by the govt of Odisha; Mr. Naveen Patnaik should drop this move as soon as possible, by taking some alternative way to gain extra VAT.
    Regards,

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.